Friday 5 September 2014

Thinking outside the bra



Throughout the summer, there have been numerous awareness and fundraising events to hopefully, one day, beat cancer.

I applaud this and find it incredibly inspiring, but I also feel frustrated as it almost feels as though the fundraising and raising awareness starts and stops at breast cancer or testicular cancer. Before I carry on with this post, I would like to say that I never want to take away from the pain and devastation that any cancer can cause.

However, I think it's time that the stigma surrounding a woman's reproductive organs was abolished. Target Ovarian Cancer states that because of the lack of knowledge surrounding the health of ovaries, the cervix and uterus, those are the cancers we need to focus on. The 'silent killers' are just as devastating but the victims almost appear voiceless.

I was drawn to Target Ovarian Cancer when I was diagnosed with PCOS, as one of the risks long-term is developing Ovarian cancer. A terrifying thought at the age of 22, but still, it really opened my eyes to the fact that I knew nothing about it. I had no idea what the symptoms might be, how to be checked, how to get diagnosed and what sort of support platforms there are around the country (and the world).

Ovarian cancer is the second largest killer in women.


I used to think I was quite lucky, having little contact with cancer or it's damage, but in the space of twelve months I have unfortunately faced it head on. My nan recently passed away from cervical cancer, and I feel so angry at the fact that I knew nothing about it. Could it be different if there was more education about the symptoms and how to get checked? Smear tests are good on the tin, but where is the emphasis on the importance of attending the initial appointments to ensure that there are no cancerous cells lurking about.

Ultimately, I just wish there was more understanding and people would remove the stigma surrounding the female body. Cancer is not just limited to the bra area, and the more we talk about the body, I feel that more women will be more open to asking questions and ensuring they know the facts outside the SMEAR test.

I have been thinking a lot about what I want to do to contribute to beating cancer. I could sign up for Race for Life, or I could bake for a coffee morning to talk about the symptoms, the risks, the devastation it could lead.


No comments:

Post a Comment