Sunday 25 November 2012

Interviewing skills through Social Media

I have been slightly quiet with regards to posting blogs, but as you can guess my degree has certain demands right now which I need to focus on.

One thing I wanted to write about, and in turn ask about, is interview tips. Particularly for internships, or a future career. I want to enter a profession where a lot of the job descriptions ask for a degree in English, Marketing and PR, Communications or something similar.
I'm guessing that the reason for this is so you have some sort of background knowledge to apply, but for me, the information I have so far is from work experience.

I have volunteered across a wide range of institutes to gain experience, but being able to put that experience into a concise and educated response to questions such as "What sort of marketing strategies would you bring to this company?" is something of a worry for me.

This has been a pressing thought for me for quite some time, and it's actually ironic that today I stumbled across an article on Twitter which talks about a Marketing and PR Internship at Lasa, and this provided me with a 'check-list' of things to research and keep in mind when searching for a career/internship but also what to do if I am offered an interview.

There are several points which I am already doing, including keeping a portfolio of all the things I have been involved in, and researching the company I wish to work for is another key element for interview preparation as it provides an idea of what sort of marketing strategies and skills I already posses and can bring to the team.

This article written by a graduate has offered me some sort of reassurance, and in a few weeks time as part of my Professional Development Portfolio at university, I will be attending an interview workshop which will really help with my confidence and give me some other things to keep in mind.

I have an interview on the 5th December for the Royal Shakespeare Collection for a work placement, and again this is an incredible opportunity to develop new skills and research into an area of history which I genuinely love. My confidence with the interview however is starting to affect my mindframe.

So, as I end this entry I would like to ask if anyone has any tips for interviews and also how do you cope when your mind suddenly goes blank from the pressure of being on the spot?
I'm great with public speaking now, but reflecting on my own strengths and attributes is something which I am still trying to get my head around.

Feedback would be great, and I'll update again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment