Monday 12 November 2012

Nobody notices what you do

unless you take pride in it yourself.

This post will look at how in just under a week, the Social Media Internship has had a positive impact on my professional and personal life.

Firstly, it's enabled me to branch out online and find people I want to learn from, work with and those who have the potential to inspire me. I've made a conscientious effort to connect with people involved with public relations, media, marketing and mentoring. I have been able to see their stories just through the jobs they have been involved with and I have identified what areas I need to improve upon.

The main thing which has worried me is the fact that my degree is in History, not in marketing. I'm worried that each time I go for a job interview, I will be asked the same question "What marketing strategies would you use for this and this?" and it is something I want to start focusing on. I'm trying to arrange a mock interview where I can receive feedback and research properly what I need to do to have the right effect on potential employers.

Secondly, I have been invited to be a guest blogger for a company regarding student life and related issues such as budgeting, volunteering, job hunting and various others. It's quite exciting, just by putting my experiences online I have been invited to do something which I love... writing! I need to write a 300 word sample article first, and whilst it is voluntary work it's still something to add to my CV (which is a definite plus.)

Asides from this, I have become more self-aware of my presence online and the fact that I am someone who 'categorises' contacts. I've restricted my Facebook so it's my personal space to keep in touch with friends and family back at home, and Twitter is a mixture of the two whereas Linkedin is something which is purely for professional and academic development.

Tomorrow is another session for the Social Media Internship so will update more then, for now I am preparing for a social event hosted by the History Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment