Sunday 1 December 2013

Changes.

As a BA History Undergraduate in my 3rd and final year (sob sob!), I have a number of thoughts and questions about what the next step in life will entail. At the age of 22, I am faced with a tough economic climate where I am competing against the rest of the unemployed population when it comes to job applications.
 
Researching into what I want to actually do when I finish is quite hard too, because there are so many options and so many things I want to try my hand at. I have always grown up with the philosophy that as long as I am happy, I don't mind what job I do in the end. I want to work in an environment that brings out the passion and life in me, and so I have narrowed it down to a few possibilities: Human Resources, Personnel, Administration, Research or teaching. (I also have a pipedream to become a wedding planner, but that's more for the romantic in me).
 
I used a number of tools to find out what I want to possibly do once I graduate, but I will recommend Prospects as this is what I used initially. It not only helped me narrow down my skills and match them with my interests, but it also lists numerous graduate schemes and opportunities available which start half way through next year. A great place to start!
 
The fact that I have decided to commute from home (which is in Birmingham) means I am able to set up my foundations here whilst also engaging in my studies, which I absolutely love, in Derby. The segregation has really helped, more so because I have recently been diagnosed with a condition which affects my health long-term.
 
The support which I have experienced at home with my family, partner and friends means I am able to keep the emotional attachments and distress at a bay when it comes to my studies - keeping them both in their own little 'boxes' has provided me with a great coping mechanism. I am now on a gluten/sugar/carb free diet, and I have found that this sort of diet is not really accommodated for with a student budget. Therefore, I am currently planning a few long-term projects to complete once I have finished my studies. The one I am most excited about is my own cookbook and blog - an online platform which I am currently putting together and collaborating with a very dear friend of mine to provide a healthy, student-friendly network and forum for those who just want to live a healthy lifestyle, or have medical/cultural conditions.
 
All of these changes have meant that I am now looking at my life and my future in a very different light. I am now feeling a lot healthier than I was a couple of weeks ago, and whilst I am still focusing on the now (which includes my lovely pile of essays), I am also focusing on  the "what next" questions.
 
I think it is a transitional process that no one can ever really prepare you for. There are plenty of places where you can find advice and guidance, but ultimately each journey is individual, which includes all of those little and big decisions. It's a transitional process which has been made easier for me because I am fortunate to study at a very supportive and student-focused university, but it is an exciting place to be standing. Exciting and scary!
 
My advice to anyone who is in the same position of facing the "what next" questions, then it's not something to worry about or hide away from. It's a position of great promise, opportunities and the chance to move forward in a journey where you will discover so much about yourself.
 
Tutorials, careers advice services, online forums and even social media are great places where you can find some of the answers to the questions you may have, but keep in mind that your happiness comes down to the decisions you make for yourself.
 
I will end this blog with what I'm currently doing now, as well as an interesting article I think you should read.
 
Favourite things right now:
- I've just booked a holiday in the South of England with my partner in May 2014!
- I've just achieved my first 1st grade this semester on an essay I didn't think I had passed!
- I'm reading An Immigration History of Britain by Panikos Panayi which is a fascinating book. It's helping me process all of the reading I've done recently surrounding an essay I'm writing.
- It's only 2 weeks until my birthday.
- That makes it just under 4 weeks until Christmas!
 
The article:
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment